I like to make a batch of this for when we camp or vacation. I have added some variations over the years that we like even better.
My college students love for me to make this granola and package it up for them to have in their dorm or apartment. It is great to add to yogurt or just snack on dry.
Here is the original recipe on the recipe card I have had for about 30 years.
- The recipe calls for quick oats, but I like it even better with old fashioned rolled oats.
- I have tried it with 1/2 brown sugar, 1/2 white sugar.
- I have used honey in place of the sugar.
- You can use any kind of nuts or combination of nuts.
- I like to add 1-2 teaspoons cinnamon or other spices.
- I have also added flax seed.
- Craisins or other dried fruit is also good.
- I prefer to add the dried fruit after the granola has cooked, though.
I love that this recipe is relatively versatile; you can change ingredients to your taste.
You will see from the recipe that it makes a big batch. My mom always used a large speckled roasting pan. You can make 1/2 a recipe if you don't have a pan large enough.
|Big Batch Granola|
Let me know how you like it and what variations you use.