Monday, June 20, 2016
Book Review: Born For This- How to Find the Work You Were Meant to Do
With the current emphasis seemingly on 'finding your passion', Born for This by Chris Guillebeau attempts to help people make a living while working at their 'passion.' As Chris says,
" Doing what brings you joy is great, but if you aren’t earning a living, it’s a hobby, not a career."
For students that will soon pursue a career, or adults needing a career change, this book has some practical insight and great tips.
Some suggestions will require you to get outside of your comfort zone, but that is often when things start to happen to move you toward your goal.
The book does share practical tips and points out that the author does have a college degree and some skills that he used to get where he is today.
The book jacket says:
Have you ever met someone with the perfect job? To the outside observer, it seems like they’ve won the career lottery — that by some stroke of luck or circumstance they’ve found the one thing they love so much that it doesn’t even feel like work—and they’re getting paid well to do it.
You’ll learn how to:
• Hack the job of your dreams within a traditional organization by making it work for you
• Find not only your ideal work but also your ideal working conditions
• Create plans that will allow you to take smarter career risks and “beat the house” every time
• Start a profitable “side hustle” and earn extra cash on top of your primary stream of income
• Escape the prison of working for someone else and build a mini-empire as an entrepreneur
• Become a rock star at any creative endeavor by creating a loyal base of fans and followers
Sounds great, right?
If you follow the tips that Chris outlines in Born for This, you may find the job of your dreams -- the one you would do even if you didn't get paid. But it will take dedication on your part.
Read the book for inspiration or read (and implement) the book to change your career path.
The choice is yours.
I received this book free from Blogging for Books for my review.
CHRIS GUILLEBEAU the author of Born For This, The $100 Startup, The Happiness of Pursuit, and The Art of Non-Conformity, recently completed a personal quest to visit every country in the world (193/193).